A STUDY OF THE RECREATIONAL LIFE STYLE OF WOMEN(A CASE STUDY OF ADENIRAN OGUNSANYA COLLEGE OF EDUCATION FEMALE STAFF)
This study investigated the study of the recreational life style of women at Adeniran Ogunsanya College of Education, Otto/Ijanikin Lagos.
Descriptive survey method was used to carry out the study. The sample and sampling techniques was used to select one hundred and fifty female staff of AOCOED.
It was hypothesize that facilities, equipment, college management policy on recreational activities and workload /work pressure on individual would not significantly perceived as the problem towards the participation in recreational activities among the female staff of Adeniran Ogunsanya College of Education, Ijanikin Lagos.
Data collected from the participants through questionnaire were classified and analyzed. The hypothesis formulated fro this study guided the arrangement of the tables; it focuses on the variable identified. A summary of the main findings follows watch hypothesis and where required sustained by demographical data which divided the two Bio – data of the participant and the description of variables raised in the hypothesis. The Chi-square analysis were also used to test cases where persons, events or objects are grouped in two or more nominal categories such as agree, undecided and disagreed.
The result revealed that facilities and equipment, college management policy, and work load / work pressure will not be significantly perceived as the problem towards participation of Adeniran Ogunsanya College of Education female staff in recreational activities
TABLE OF CONTENTS
TABLE OF CONTENT viii-x
LIST OF FIGURES
1.0 Introduction 1-3
1.1 Purpose of study 3
1.2 Statement of the problems 4
1.3 Research Questions 4
1.4 Research hypothesis 5-6
1.5 Significance of the study 6-7
1.6 Delimination of the study 7
1.7 Limitation of the study 7-8
1.8 Definition of terms 8
2.0 Literature review 9
2.1 History and development of recreation 10-13
2.2 Objectives of recreation 13-21
2.3 Concept of recreation 21-22
2.4 Criteria for selecting recreational activities 22-25
2.5 Types of recreation 25-31
2.6 Benefits / Value of recreations 31-33
2.7 The place of facilities and equipment in recreational activities 33-34
2.8 Agencies that sponsor recreation programme 35-41
2.9 Women and recreation 41-43
2.10 Recreation and Health 43-44
2.11 Economic Recreation 44-46
2.12 Recreation for special needs 46-49
3.0 Research Methodology 50
3.1 Research design 50
3.2 Population of study 51
3.3 Sample and sampling technique 51-52
3.4 Research instrument 52
3.5 Data collection 52-53
3.9 Data analysis 53
4.1 Data analysis and Discussion 54-70
5.0 Summary, conclusion and recommendations 71
5.1 Summary 71-72
5.2 Conclusion 72-73
5.3 Implication of the study 73
5.4 Recommendation 73-75
An active life style helps to keep man healthy. It helps to promote total health and provides antidotes to the strains and tensions of life.
The issue of physical fitness programmed has in recent years own global concession as many individuals are becoming more acquainted with to benefit accrued to ones participation in a structure recreational programme.
Recreation is enjoyed by all irrespective of age, sex, religion, race and social status. Unlike work, there is no loss if one fails to recreate. When we recreate, we recreate a change of activity which brings to us new life.
Some recreative activities are passive while others are active. Recreation provides as well as solidifies communal living.
Recreation is to get a break from regular and routine work. Usually, it is expected that for an individual to recreate will tend to rest and engage in activities different from the usual; office job. By rest it does not mean sleeping in the house or laying about idling with many people in civilized environment they seize the opportunity to engage in activities that give them pleasure, education and relaxation. The activities have values and benefits in themselves.
Kuku (2002), explained that hypertension could be prevented or reduced through the development of cardiovascular fitness, which is attainable through sports participation.
The development of recreational activities was found in the ancient civilization of Babylonians, Egyptian and Greek which was reflected, in Western culture for instance during religions festivals, the Athenian engaged in some form of dancing. Recreation is the refreshment of body and mind at leisure towards health and physical fitness and achieving desirable needs.
The concept of recreation seems different in the contemporary worlds. Man has exploited his leisure to enhance his development. Through recreational activities man has been built up physically, emotionally, sociologically and intellectually. It is not all the people that understand the concept of recreation for this reason, little or no attention is paid to it. The few people who understand the concept of leisured used their leisure hours constructively by involving themselves in one form of recreational activities or the other.
1.1 PURPOSE OF THE STUDY
The purpose of this study is to x-ray the recreational life style of Adeniran Ogunsanya College of Education AOCOED female staff. The study is also aimed at highlighting the different types of recreational activities and its benefits to the individual
1.2 STATEMENT OF THE PROBLEM
There are many recreational activities that individuals can partake in during leisure time, but which are jettison by the staff.
Many female staff have not been using their leisure time wisely. They have abandoned recreational activities for other activities that are not beneficial. Therefore the need to stud those indices responsible for the lukewarm attitude of Adeniran Ogunsanya College of Education, Otto/Ijanikin female staff towards recreational activities. It is in this light that this study is out to look into the recreational life style of women at Adeniran Ogunsanya College of Education, Otto/Ijanikin, Lagos.
1.3 RESEARCH QUESTION
This study endeavored to find answers to the following research questions.
- Will lack of facilities and equipment be perceived as a physical problem that makes it difficult for the females staff of Adeniran Ogunsanya College of Education to participate in recreational activities.
- Will management policy on recreational activities be perceived as problem to participation in recreational activities among Adeniran Ogunsanya college of Education, Otto/Ijanikin female staff?
- Will workload or work pressure be seen as impediment to participation in recreational activities among AdeniranOgunsanyaCollege of education female staff?
- Will personal/individual values and knowledge of recreation be perceived as impediment to participation in recreational activities among female staff?
1.4 RESEARCH HYPOTHESES
For the purpose of this study the following statement of hypotheses are made:
- Facilities and equipment will not be significantly perceived as the problem towards the participation of Adeniran Ogunsanya College of Education female staff.
- College management policy on recreational activities will not be significantly perceived of Adeniran Ogunsanya College of Education female staff.
- Workload / work pressure will not be significantly perceived as impediment towards the participation of Adeniran Ogunsanya College of Education female staff.
- Personal/Individual values and acknowledge of recreation will not be significantly perceived as the impediment towards the participation of Adeniran Ogunsanya College of Education female staff in recreational activities.
1.5 SIGNIFICANCE OF THE STUDY
- The findings of this study will education the female staff on the need to utilized their leisure time in worthwhile recreational activities
- The findings of this study will also familiarize female staff with those recreational programmes and facilities available in the college, which will enchance their participation in recreational activities for optimum health status.
iii. The outcome of the study will provide basis for the college authority to realize the need to organize a mass campaign for recreational activities as a medium of improving health status, ensure longetivity and most importantly enhancing on the job effectiveness and efficiency of staff.
1.6 DELIMITATION OF THE STUDY
The scope of this study is restricted to female staff of the Adeniran Ogunsanya College of Education, Otto/Ijanikin, Lagos. The study is delimited to the use of questionnaire and structured oral interviews.
1.7 LIMITATION OF THE STUDY
The study was faced with the challenges of respondent not willing to respond adequately to the questionnaire. It was also difficult to track down the respondents to responds to the questionnaire.
1.8 DEFINITION OF TERMS
Equipment: Are movable materials used in sporting activities.
Facilities: Is a fixed material for sporting activities e.g. permanent play ground.
Health: Is a state of mental, physical and social well-being and not merely on absence of diseases or infirmity.
Leisure time: Is off job or period used for voluntarily activities.
Recreation: Refreshment of body and mind at leisure time towards healthy and physical fitness in achieving desirable ends.
Are You In Need Of Help? Call us or Whatsapp us @ (+234) 08093239919, or Via Email: [email protected]
Disclaimer: The copyright owner created this PDF Content to serve as a RESEARCH GUIDE for students to conduct academic research.
The original PDF Research Material Guide that you receive can be used in the following ways.
1. To provide additional information about the topic of the project.
2. You can use them as a resource for your research (if you properly reference them).
3. Proper paraphrasing is required (consult your school’s definition of plagiarism and acceptable paraphrase).
4. If properly referenced, direct citation.
We are grateful for your consideration of the copyright of the authors.
Thank you so much for respecting the authors copyright.
Are You in Need of Help? Call us or Whatsapp us @ (+234) 08093239919 or Via Email: [email protected]