THE IMPORTANCE OF TEACHERS ACADEMIC QUALIFICATION AND ITS PERFORMANCE ON SECONDARY SCHOOL STUDENTS ( A CASE STUDY OF SOLUTION COLLEGE, ISERI OSHUN)
1.1 BACKGROUND TO THE STUDY
The federal government of Nigeria had adopted education as an instrument par excellence for effecting national development. If education has been adopted as the only level that can solve the socio-economic problems of Nigeria, then the adequate supply of effective teacher with adequate qualification becomes the core of the educational problems because there is a direct link between the quality of education and the qualification of the teachers.
This view is adequately reflected in the national policy on education on section 9:59 on the purpose of teacher education that :Since no education system may rise above the quality of its teachers, teacher education shall continue to be given major emphasis in all educational planning and development.
The minimum qualification for entry into the teaching profession shall be the Nigeria certificate in Education (NCE) “
These views seem to suggest that the real value of sound educational policies lies in its effective implementation and it is the teacher in the final analysis who transforms theory into practice (National policy on Education 2004).
Olaoye (2005) explained that armed with these vie, the researcher asserted that the system of training teacher should be keys tone of any National system of education, especially in a rapidly developing country like Nigeria. The qualification and effectiveness of teacher training will be the main determining factor in the success or failure of education to meet that country’s needs.
According to Abimbola (2003) he believed that for any meaningful innovation, teachers’ academic qualification is very imperative. This is because teacher EDUCATION is very complex enterprise. The complexity arises as a result of several factors which include determination of what effective teacher are, teachers are expected to fulfill a variety of roles. Added to this, is the fact that teacher education involves the training of professionals who will educate students in future.
1.2 STATEMENT OF THE PROBLEM
The salient statement of problem of this study, is that” who important is teacher’s qualification and quality to raising student achievement” A growing body of research shows that student achievement is more heavily influenced by teacher quality than by students’ race, class-prior academic record, or school a student attends.
This effect is particularly strongly among student from low–income families. The benefit associated with being taught by good teacher are cumulative.
Research indicate that the achievement gap widens each year between students with most effective teachers and those with least effective teachers.
1.3 PURPOSE OF THE STUDY
Hence the following are the purpose :-
- To know the importance of teacher’s experience and academic qualification on pupils brilliant performance.
- To find out the relevance of teacher’s academic qualifications on students academic performance.
- To know the motivating factors in the process of impacting knowledge into the learners
- To know the difference between teachers with higher educational qualifications and those with least qualifications.
1.4 RESEARCH QUESTION
- How can attention to teacher qualification closed achievement gaps between students?
- What are the qualities of an effective teacher
- How important are teachers years of teaching experience?
- How important are teacher professional certificate training?
1.5 RESEARCH HYPOTHESIS
- There is no significance relationship between attention to teacher qualification and student achievement gaps
- There is no significance relationship between pupils academic achievement.
- How important are teachers professional qualification and training and student academic performance of the study.
1.6 SIGNIFICANCE OF THE STUDY
The significance of this studies could be trace to the views of Richard (2002) he says that throughout a programme of training the “teachers are trained in the acquisition of certain competencies related to aspects of classroom management, long term medium -term and short –term planning, recording and reporting student’s work leading to the achievement of prescribed, assessable and )presumably) acquired – for – life standard”.
The prime purpose of any sort of teachers’ training activity is to improve capacities of the individuals for making them most suitable and fit for the teaching assignment.
1.7 SCOPE OF THE STUDY
This study was focused on the effect of teachers’ qualification on the academic performance of students.A case study of solution college Ikotu Ijegun Local Education District.
1.8 DELIMITATION OF THE STUDY
This study was limited to the following constraint, insufficient time, unavailability of adequate data, financial implication and general health condition.
1.9 DEFINITION OF OPERATIONAL TERMS
Quality: The value that something has.
Qualification: Certificate earned after schooling
Achievement: The performance of the student at the end of examination.
Professional Certificate: It is a document gotten through professional course
Content Knowledge: When the teacher is versatile in his teaching subject.
Academic Ability: It is the level of intelligent of the teacher or student
N.P.E:- National policy on education
Are You in Need of Help? Call us or WhatsApp us via +234-809-323-9919 or Email us via [email protected]
CLICK HERE TO HIRE A WRITER IF YOU CAN’T FIND YOUR TOPIC
Disclaimer: The copyright owner created this PDF Content to serve as a RESEARCH GUIDE for students to conduct academic research.
The original PDF Research Material Guide that you receive can be used in the following ways.
- To provide additional information about the topic of the project.
- You can use them as a resource for your research (if you properly reference them).
- Proper paraphrasing is required (consult your school’s definition of plagiarism and acceptable paraphrase).
- If properly referenced, direct citation.