DESIGN AND IMPLEMENTATION OF AUTOMATED MATRICULATION NUMBER (CASE STUDY OF OLABISI ONABANJO ABEOKUTA STUDY CENTRE)
Table of content
Title Page i
1.0 Introduction 1
1.1 Background to the study 1
1.2 Statement of the problem 2
1.3 Aims and objectives of the study 3
1.4 Definition of terms 3-4
2.1 Literature review 5
2.2 Meaning of matriculation 5
2.3 Student matriculation number 5
2.4 The need for technology and commercial software for
collecting student registration data 5-7
2.5 Computer and information management 7-9
2.6 Computer-based information system 9-13
3.0 Design methodology 14
3.1 System analysis 14
3.2 Description of the proposed system 14
3.3 System architecture 14-18
3.4 Description of the technology used 19-23
4.0 testing and implementation 24
4.1 System modules 24
4.2 Student module 24-27
4.3 System maintenance 28
5.0 Summary, conclusion and recommendation 29
5.1 Summary 29
5.2 Conclusion 29
5.3 Recommendation 30
1.1 BACKGROUND TO THE STUDY
Students’ academic and personal records form a vital part of the education system. Progress throughout life continues to be hinged on availability of accurate data on graduates of various institutions. From time to time, individual records are sought during processing of admissions for further studies, engagement in voluntary or military service and entry into the world of works and the job market. However, students’ records in most institutions have been held in low esteem, especially in the third world. Most archival records on students are held in manual systems, giving rise to difficulties in retrieving vital information and poor access time. Where such information is available in electronic form, they are not available in friendly format. Some cumbersome transformation processes are therefore needed to generate the necessary reports (Desai, 1990; Arekete and Osinowo, 2009). Since time is of essence in the digital age, we need to develop systems that are flexible, reliable and accurate for the purpose of delivering accurate information anytime such is needed. Moreover, availability of such information must not necessitate physical presence except in rare cases when physical authentication is required.
The admission process in every higher Tertiary institution of learning involves giving the students their matriculation number. This number is used to identify them in all manner of activities done in the school. It most especially important during examination and test assessment results recording. However there have been several known cases of students sharing the same matriculation number within the same department leading to unfortunate confusing circumstances.
In this project an automated system would be designed that generate unique matriculation number to all registered student.
1.2 STATEMENT OF THE PROBLEM
These are the problems that are being encountered in the manual system of assigning a student registration number to newly admitted student in the department. The limited factors listed below have slowed realization of the good intention:
- Wrong matriculation number: The officer in-charge is bound to make mistake by giving wrong matric number to student, which may be as a result of under-assessment or over assessment of student. This could be with motive to commit fraud or as a result of mistake on the part of the officer at work.
- Allocation of same matriculation number: Staff under the allocation of matric number to student may indulges in registering two student with the same matriculation number in one department, which result to confusion if not quickly rectify.
- Improper Accounting: There is the tendency of the registrar involved in the handling of student matric generated to make mistake during this process, thus having some measures of inaccuracy in the work.
- Mental/Manual Labor: This involves the use of strength and Brain and the body. The officer in-charge goes through mental labor because he has to sort the records of the entire student in his domain of jurisdiction. He suffers from Manual labor because he has to write all the way.
- Excess Time Consumption: There is excessive time consumption because the school registrar officer has to write and enter the information of the student individually, after the person matric number is to be registered accordingly. When put together, the time spent on all of these is much.
1.3 AIM AND OBJECTIVES OF THE STUDY
The aim of this project is the design and implementation of an Automated Matriculation Number generating system for Olabisi Onabanjo University (Abeokuta Study Centre Consult). It will be achieved through the following objectives:
- To design the algorithm, flowchart and database structure for the system.
- To implement the design by using Php, Mysql, Html5, CSS3 and Jquery.
- To test the implementation.
1.4 Justification of the Project
This project will reduce the stress and effort spent on generating student matriculation number. It will automate the process and makes the matriculation number unique. Staff do not have to generate the number by one after the other, the system will assign matriculation number to all registered student automatically.
1.5 Scope and Limitation of the Study
This project focuses on generating student matriculation number. It include all aspect of the automation. The system will have two interfaces, the student and the administrator interface. Modules like course registration, examination and result processing will not be included as a result of limited time available for the implementation.
1.6 DEFINITION OF TERMS
As we go into this work, some words will need precise definition to enable the reader assimilate the entire contents.
COMPUTER: An electronic machine capable of accepting data in the form of input, processes it under a set of complete condition, stores information or request for references and generated result in the form of output.
APPLICATION: this are software develop to unable users perform more function in there systems.
ALGORITHM: An algorithm is a set of instruction that shows the step to follow in order to solve a problem.
DATA: These are raw facts that are to be processed.
FILES: Is a collect of related data record.
PROGRAM: Is a set of instructions of given for the computer to carry out a specific task.
PERIPHERALS: is the physical component of the computer system.
Authentication: The process of confirming the correctness of the claimed identity.
Are You in Need of Help? Call us or WhatsApp us via +234-809-323-9919 or Email us via [email protected]
CLICK HERE TO HIRE A WRITER IF YOU CAN’T FIND YOUR TOPIC
Disclaimer: The copyright owner created this PDF Content to serve as a RESEARCH GUIDE for students to conduct academic research.
The original PDF Research Material Guide that you receive can be used in the following ways.
- To provide additional information about the topic of the project.
- You can use them as a resource for your research (if you properly reference them).
- Proper paraphrasing is required (consult your school’s definition of plagiarism and acceptable paraphrase).
- If properly referenced, direct citation.