THE USEFULNESS OF COMPUTER LABORATORY IN TEACHING COMPUTER SUBJECT (A CASE STUDY OF OJOLOCAL GOVERNMENT AREA OF LAGOS STATE)
This study is to explore into the usefulness of computer laboratory in teaching computer subjects. A case study in Ojo Local Government Area of Lagos state. Basically, four hypotheses were raised for this study while the sampled schools included rural and urban public schools in Ojo local government area of Lagos state. Five schools were randomly selected sample for the study. Each of the schools are selected sixteen students and four science teachers.
The research instruments used was a questionnaire. A total number of one hundred questionnaires were used for the study.
The result of the findings showed those students’ attitudes, students’ achievement, availability of computers and teacher’s attitude can influence the use of computer laboratory.
- BACKGROUND TO THE STUDY
The first use of the word “computer” was recorded in 1613 referring to a person who carried out calculations or computations, and the word continue with the same meaning until the middle of the 20th century. From the end of the 19th century the word began to take on its more familiar meaning that carries out computations.
The computer is one of the most powerful innovations in human history with the use. People are suddenly able to perform a staggering amount of computations at dazing speed information can be crunched, organized and displayed in the blink of an age (wikpedea 2007) computer have been used in higher education for over thirty years both as a subject in its own right, and as a tool to assist in the learning process within other disciplines. They have also been used as means of delivering educational materials and for on line assessment.
A computer laboratory is a cluster of computers that usually are networked and available for use in the public. Laboratories frequently are found in public building such as libraries, schools such as colleges and universities, community centres and some large churches that have many parish ones.
Almost all computer laboratories offer users access to the internet and provide software that students can use to research and complete their homework or that others such as traveling business people might need for other purposes. The users of a computer laboratory do not need any equipment of their. There is the need for protection and restrictions within networks available to the public. Users might be denied access to websites featuring adult content or sites that demand too much bandwidth. Those using a computer laboratory are usually also allowed a limited amount time to be signed onto a machine, whether surfing the internet or using software to do other work (Wilimedia 2009) in all of these cases, computer laboratory classes have played a major role. Computer laboratory is used to measures student’s perceptions as learning environment. The scales measured cohesiveness, open-endedness in which the laboratory activities encourage an open-ended divergent approach to use of computers. There is opportunity for one to pursue his own computing interests in laboratory class. Apart from the mentioned ones, there are integration, technology, Adequacy and laboratory availability. In computer laboratory students have the opportunity to put into practice and work on the computers. There is live demonstration of procedure on computer to students. There is equal access to information as distance of space does not affect the students in a computer laboratory in the same study, the attitude towards computers and computing subjects are also administered (Akinolu etal 2009).
Computer is capable of performing any functions which hitherto had been the exclusive preserve of man. Within the last couple of decades, however the use of computer is being felt in the field of education. Computers are primarily used to operate a large amount of information within very short period of time. There are used to collect, implies, sort, select, store and retrieve information. Today computer have become very sophisticated and the affect many activities in the environment. Computer carryout computation, but they cannot think for themselves. However computations are usually carried out in sequence under the direction of a computer programme. Detain information and instruction are programmed into the machine for it to perform its task. Initially facts were established that computer can perform different functions. The one aspect that most computing subjects, both specialist and non- specialist have in common is the computer laboratory class. This is understandable given that using a computer is perceived as a skill, for specialist subjects, this would mean learning to program something that cannot be done (Uzoma 2005). Laboratory classes provide an opportunity for student to gain proficiency.
- STATEMENT OF PROBLEM
Gone are those days that libraries are only source of information for teachers and student. Gone are those days that technology was not invoke, that only students teacher method of teaching is used for teaching school subject including computer itself. Now in the cantempry Nigeria society computer science and internet fertilities has simplified information processing in all ramifications. Thus, the constant thing in life is change. Change has brought about shift from only library as sources of information to internet. Computer laboratory it is very obvious that the effective use of computer laboratory in teaching computer and other secondary school subjects help learning to be more effective and likewise reduce the effort of the teachers.
The problem now is there exist limited, few or no computer laboratory in public secondary school in Lagos state. Without computer laboratory, the importance or essence of information and communication technology shall be so tinny and narrow. Also there are limited computer science teachers in secondary school today to impact practical and theory all together to students. Computer laboratory is needed to be built in all secondary school to meet the goals of the essence of information and communication technology (ICT).
- PURPOSE OF THE STUDY
The purpose by which research is carried out includes the following.
- To examine the nature of computer laboratory in teaching computer subjects.
- To examine how computer could be used by teachers in teaching in secondary schools
- To evaluate the usefulness of computer laboratory by students in terms of maximum achievement.
- To evaluate the extend at which the use of computer laboratory has really helped the learning of students in secondary schools.
- To examine the limitation of the use of computer laboratory in teaching in secondary schools.
- RESEARCH QUESTIONS
The following are the research questions based for this study
- What are the nature of computer laboratory in teaching computer subjects?
- How could computer be used by teachers in teaching in secondary schools?
- To what extent is the usefulness of laboratory by students in term of maximum achievement?
- How has the use of computer laboratory really helped in learning by students in secondary schools?
- What are the limitations of the use of computer laboratory in learning in secondary schools?
- RESEARCH HYPOTHESIS
The following are the research hypothesis for this study.
- There is no significant relationship between students’ attitude and the use of computer laboratory in learning in secondary schools.
- There is no significant relationship between students’ achievement and the use of computer laboratory in learning in secondary schools.
- There is no significant relationship between the availability of computer as means of instruments in schools and its usage in learning in secondary schools.
- There is no significant relationship between the teachers’ attitude and the use of computer laboratory in teaching in secondary schools
- SIGNIFICANCE OF THE STUDY
These are the significances of the study
- It will help the students in their academic achievement in secondary schools
- It will help the students’ attitude positively in making use of computer laboratory learning.
- It will help the students to overcome the rigors of writing but rather organize their thoughts, facts, and their ideas through computer laboratory.
- It will help the school administrator to know the importance of computer laboratory in teaching and learning in secondary schools.
- It will help the government to know the usefulness of computer laboratory in learning and therefore make it abundantly available in all schools.
- SCOPE/DELIMITATION OF THE STUDY
This research work was restricted to few selected junior secondary school students and teachers in ojo Local government area of Lagos state, above their knowledge on the usefulness of computer laboratory in teaching computer science.
- DEFINITION OF TERMS
Computer: This is an electronic machine which is capable of accepting data as an input, processing the data and giving out the useful information as an output.
Laboratory: This is a special room or building in which a scientist does tests or prepares substances.
Teaching: This is an act of instructing or to give to another knowledge or skill which one has himself.
Technique: This is a special way of doing something
Material: This is something that can be used or retrieve information.
Are You in Need of Help? Call us or WhatsApp us via +234-809-323-9919 or Email us via [email protected]
CLICK HERE TO HIRE A WRITER IF YOU CAN’T FIND YOUR TOPIC
Disclaimer: The copyright owner created this PDF Content to serve as a RESEARCH GUIDE for students to conduct academic research.
The original PDF Research Material Guide that you receive can be used in the following ways.
- To provide additional information about the topic of the project.
- You can use them as a resource for your research (if you properly reference them).
- Proper paraphrasing is required (consult your school’s definition of plagiarism and acceptable paraphrase).
- If properly referenced, direct citation.