THE EFFECT OF COMPUTER LITERACY POSSESSED BY SECONDARY SCHOOL STUDENTS ON THEIR ACADEMIC ACHIEVEMENT (A CASE STUDY OF SSII STUDENTS IN OJO LOCAL GOVERNMENT AREA OF LAGOS STATE)
Due to the necessity of everybody to become computer literate in our society have made us to carry out this project work, titled “the effects of computer literacy possessed by Secondary School Students on their academic achievement in Ojo local Government area of Lagos state. Five research questions guided the study. The study has simple survey research design and area of the study is the SS III Students in Ojo local Government Area. Simple random sampling was used the sample of the study is made up of 5 schools randomly selected. In each school, 15 students are sampled making a total number of 75 students randomly selected, and 5 teachers in each schools making up of 25 teachers randomly selected. The main instrument for data collection was questionnaire. The instrument was structured according to Agree and Disagree. In our study, we find out that secondary school students are still lacking behind in the area of computer.
TABLE OF CONTENTS
Title page i
Table of contents vii
CHAPTER ONE: INTRODUCTION
- Background of the study 1
- Statement of the problem 4
- Purpose of study 6
- Significance of the study 7
- Scope of the study 8
- Research question 8
- Definitions of terms 9
CHAPTER TWO: LITERATURE REVIEW
- Introduction 10
- Computer literacy 10
- Importance of literacy 12
- The computer age 13
- Information and communication technology 15
- The importance of computer in education 20
- Data processing 23
- Application software 29
- Summary of reviewed literature 33
CHAPTER THREE: RESEARCH METHOD
- Introduction 34
- Design of the study 35
- Area of the study 35
- Population of the study 35
- Sample and sample techniques 35
- Instrument for data collection 36
- Validation of instrument 36
- Reliability of instrument 37
- Method of data collection 37
- Method of data analysis 37
CHAPTER FOUR: PRESENTATION ANALYSIS AND SUMMARY OF DATA
- Introduction 38
- Data analysis and presentation of result 39
CHAPTER FIVE: DISCUSSION, CONCLUSION, RECOMMENDATION AND SUMMARY
- Discussion 53
- Conclusion 55
- Recommendation for action 56
- Summary 57
- Suggestion for further research 58
Appendix one 61
Appendix two 66
- Background of the Study
There has been a trend towards the effects of computer literacy possessed by Secondary School Student on their achievement. The idea is to enable the present generation of school children at the Secondary School level to develop the use of computer technology. Computer is an electronic machine or device that accepts data as inputs and processes them electronically to produce the desired output or information with the aid of a set of instructions.
Essian (2008) stated that the traditional definition of literacy is the ability to read and write, listen and speak and enumerate. However to use and communicate in a diverse range of technologies. literacy has also been expanded to include skills in computer, basic numeric sound, still and moving images and graphical elements in digital based communication.
Oyedeji (1995) said that people use their acquired knowledge to promotes activities for academic performance or gains.
Many writers have therefore written in favour of the effect of computer literacy possessed by Secondary School Students on their academic achievement of computer science in secondary schools.
Robert (2005) defined computer literacy as an essential program in schools from elementary to high school which teaches students how to use computer and navigate some computer programs.
Emphasis has been laid on the following reasons:
- To enable the present generation of school children at all level, appreciate the potentials of the computer.
- To enable student to be able to use the computer in various works of life and later occupation.
- To enable students to develop the use of computer as teaching tool in all subject areas and to familiarize students with the use of computer technology.
- To expose the students to the latest scientific knowledge and skills.
- To bring about a computer literacy in Ojo local Government Area of Lagos state.
Computer science, which is an aspect required of computer students. Computer can be used in our secondary schools to teach physics, chemistry and many other subjects, so it is expected that with the appropriate use of computer in teaching and learning of computer science, students should be able to use computer and enhance their interest in studying computer science.
It becomes necessary therefore, for the researcher to investigate for the effect of computer literacy possessed by secondary school students on their academic achievement.
- Statement of the Problem
The need to improve on computer literacy in Senior Secondary School Students on their academic achievement in Ojo Local Government Area should not be over emphasized. The primary purpose of computer science study is to equip the students with the current method of skill acquisition and inculcating in them a positive attitudes towards computer science.
Olaitan (2008) stated that the following would be the objectives of computer science study at the secondary school levels:
- To provide students with adequate skills to make a living and progressively advance on their academic performance.
- To enable students on how to acquire basic knowledge in computer science.
- To enable students develop interest in computer science.
- To prepare students for further studies in computer science.
Teachers have to adopt strategies and means that would help them achieve the desired objectives. It is against this background that necessitated the researchers to carry out this study on the effect of computer literacy possessed by secondary school students on their academic achievement with a view to finding out the true picture of how things are in our secondary schools.
- Purpose of the Study
This project aims at finding the effect of computer literacy possessed by secondary school students on their academic achievement in Ojo local Government Area.
Specifically, the purposes of the project work are to find out:
- How many students know the general over view of computer.
- How many students know how to make use of Microsoft office package very well?
- How many students know how to use computer to communicate?
- How many schools are computerized?
- What are the student’s attitudes towards the use of computer system in teaching and learning of computer science?
- Significance of the Study
When you carry out a research on how the effects of computer literacy possessed by secondary school students on their academic achievement in Ojo local Government Area, you are balancing several sets of requirements.
Generally, you want to contribute great ideas that will be used to carry everybody along in terms of becoming computer literate. You also want to talk to some of the importance of computer in data processing, teaching and learning in the classroom and also for communication. Talking about this issue will motivate both the teachers and students that were not willing to learn computer to embrace it.
Therefore, in this research work we meant to strategize the way forward to all the teachers and students and also schools to buy the idea of not been contended with the little knowledge they have, thereby becoming more hungry for more knowledge especially computer knowledge to enable them cope with the world of information technology, also this will help in the improvement of computer science in our society.
- Scope of the Study
The scope of the study is to find the effect of computer literacy possessed by secondary schools students in Ojo Local Government Area of Lagos State.
- Research Questions
The following research questions guided this study:
- How many students know the general overview and meaning of computer system?
- How many students know how to use Microsoft office program or application.?
- How many students know how to use the internet?
- How many schools are computerized?
- What are the student’s attitudes towards the use of computer system in teaching of computer science?
1.7 Definition of Terms
- a) Computer: A computer is an electronic machine or device that accepts data as inputs and processes them electronically to produce the desired output or information with the aid of a set of instructions.
- b) Literacy : Involves the ability to use and communicate in a diverse range of technologies. While the traditional definition of literacy, is the ability to read, write and communicate.
- c) Computer Literacy: This is the knowledge and skills required to use a computer as a problem-solving tool.
- d) Data Processing: This is the manipulation that the computer does with data in other to transform it into information.
- e) Information Technology: The study or the use of electronic equipment, especially computers for storing, analyzing and sending out information.
Are You In Need Of Help? Call us or Whatsapp us @ (+234) 08093239919, or Via Email: [email protected]
Disclaimer: The copyright owner created this PDF Content to serve as a RESEARCH GUIDE for students to conduct academic research.
The original PDF Research Material Guide that you receive can be used in the following ways.
1. To provide additional information about the topic of the project.
2. You can use them as a resource for your research (if you properly reference them).
3. Proper paraphrasing is required (consult your school’s definition of plagiarism and acceptable paraphrase).
4. If properly referenced, direct citation.
We are grateful for your consideration of the copyright of the authors.
Thank you so much for respecting the authors copyright.
Are You in Need of Help? Call us or Whatsapp us @ (+234) 08093239919 or Via Email: [email protected]