appraisal of the problems faced by small farm holders in accessing loan facilities
This work is designed to examine the problems faced by small farm holders in accessing loan facilities in Ovia North East Local Government Area of Edo State. The researcher examined the role of commercial banks in financing agriculture in Edo State. Recommend actions were made to resolve the problems faced by small farm holders in accessing loan facilities in Ovia North Local Government Area of Edo State questionnaires were designed in such a way to be able to elicit unbiased response from respondents. The questionnaire designed for this study was divided into two segments. There were questions meant for the entire respondents, while others are meant for the respondent who have obtained loan under the agriculture credit facilities scheme.
TABLE OF CONTENT
Background to the study
Signification of the study
Purpose of study
Statement of problem
Definition of terms
3.0 Research methodology
3.2 Sample/Sample procedure
3.3 Instruction of data collection
3.4 Validation of the instruction
3.5 Method of data collection
3.6 Method of data analysis
Presentation and discussion of results
Discussion of findings
5.0 Conclusion, implication and recommendation
5.1 Implications of findings
5.2 Suggestions of further research
1.1 BACKGROUND TO THE STUDY
Farmers need productive resources and these resources are acquired with owned or borrowed fund. Agricultural is very important to the economy of must developing countries of the world and because of this, a supply of adequate finance is essential for national well-being. Since agriculture is the back-bone of Nigeria economy providing employment to about 70% of its population yet this important sector has suffered neglect since the oil boom days. Agriculture has totally declined since the early 1970s Nigeria export crops such as groundnut, oil palm and cocoa have suddenly disappeared and the country is net importer of food crops. Agriculture recorded growth rate in 1975 at about 2.6% while the population grew at about 70% compared to 57.7% in 1993. The small scale farmers according to the National Agriculture Policy Document of Nigeria (NAPDN) constitute over 90% of the food and fiber requirement of Nigeria on the other hand 1% of farmers out put in Nigeria. But tend to have greater access to farmers inputs including credit or loans.
1.2 STATEMENT OF THE PROBLEM
This study is to investigate and analyze the problems associated with obtaining credit financing agriculture production in Edo State it would be seen that many problem arise mostly are problems encountered by the farmers in the area.
- The inability of the farmers to meet up with the collateral security required. By the commercial bank is a major problem hindering agriculture sector. This is as a result of farmers to deposit the collateral security before obtaining credit for agriculture development.
- High interest rate is another factor that discourages farmers from obtaining credit in most commercial banks, payment of interest involve when fund is borrowed.
- The low educational background of the farmers also constitutes hindrance in obtaining agricultural credit.
- The bureaucratic process involved in the process of obtaining credit or loans for agricultural purpose have not being encourage on the part of the farmers.
- Credit facilities are not easily accessible to small farm holders. It is not that the researcher intends to identify some of the hindering factor in order to proffer solution.
1.3 PURPOSE OF THE STUDY
The main purpose of this study is to find the major problems of obtaining credit of loans for financing agricultural production in Nigeria with particular reference to Edo State. The objectives of the studies are.
- To identify the problem militating against adequate financing of agriculture.
- To enumerate and analyze the agriculture credit grant to farmers in recent years.
- To find out how much the commercial bank have helps in financing agriculture.
- To look at how agriculture has developed in Edo State.
- To create awareness of the problem posted by agricultural financing inadequacies.
- To investigate how these problems can be tackled.
1.4 SIGNIFICANCE OF THE STUDY
This research study will be important to that future researcher in the economy and agricultural science who would like to use it as reference materials or for further investigation.
The study is to create awareness to farmers in Edo State, the reason of low agricultural production and also to bring to the notice of the general public loans for financing agricultural production in the locality.
It will form a good basis to the government for the formulation of policies. To serve as encouragement to those farmers in the area of study.
1.5 RESEARCH QUESTION
Some questions to be tackled in the course of this study have been raised.
- Is collateral security a problem of obtaining credit from commercial bank?
- Does high interest increase the incidence of bad debts?
- Does educational background hinder the potentials of obtaining credit?
- Is a credit facility accessible for small farm holders?
- Does bureaucratic process pose a lot of problem in obtaining loan to farmers?
1.6 SCOPE OF THE STUDY
The study is aimed at providing detailed knowledge and understanding of the operation function and to determine the problems of obtaining loans for financing agricultural production in Edo State through the Federal Government Agricultural Credit Guarantee Scheme (FGACGS) found since 1977 with the view of providing useful suggestion to ease the problem of agriculture development in Nigeria it is directed towards the application of problems obtained for financing agriculture view of this more emphasis will be placed in the success of credit facilities lending procedure as a criteria of measurement.
The performance of the commercial banks in the regard will be assessed by using the present farmer’s areas to the agricultural credit facilities as well as the hindrance which the small farm holders face in obtaining loans from financial institutions.
1.8 DEFINITION OF TERMS
Credit: This is the process of obtaining control over the use of money, goods and services with promise to repay at a future data.
Agricultural finance: This means way and means by which a farmer obtains the entire necessary fund required in order to carryout agricultural production.
Interest: This means the price paid for the use of borrowed money and is usually expressed as a present on annuals basis.
Collateral: This means anything offered as a promised of loan repayment to be given to a lender in case of non-payment.
Are You In Need Help? Call us or Whatsapp us @ (+234) 08093239919, or Via Email: [email protected]
Disclaimer: The copyright owner created this PDF Content to serve as a RESEARCH GUIDE for students to conduct academic research.
The original PDF Research Material Guide that you receive can be used in the following ways.
1. To provide additional information about the topic of the project.
2. You can use them as a resource for your research (if you properly reference them).
3. Proper paraphrasing is required (consult your school’s definition of plagiarism and acceptable paraphrase).
4. If properly referenced, direct citation.
We are grateful for your consideration of the copyright of the authors.
Thank you so much for respecting the authors copyright.
Are You in Need of Help? Call us or Whatsapp us @ (+234) 08093239919 or Via Email: [email protected]